Residents, ages 55 and older, will soon be able to walk or run laps at the Magnarelli Community Center gymnasium, located at 2308 Grant Boulevard, beginning Tuesday, Jan. 19.
“We understand the importance of physical activity and how the lack of it can impact an individual’s overall well-being,” said Parks Commissioner Julie LaFave in a press release. “We have been working hard to comply with all current local and state guidance while balancing the safety of our employees and community to creatively deliver recreational opportunities to our residents.”
Capacity will be limited based on current local and state guidance. As of Wednesday, Nov. 25, building occupancy will not exceed eight walkers at a time.
Walking sessions will be available Tuesday through Thursday for one hour, including arrival and departure. To start, session times will be offered at:
• 8 a.m.
• 9:30 a.m.
• 11 a.m.
If these three sessions prove successful and demand grows, LaFave said the city will offer additional sessions.
Advanced registration is required, and residents will be allowed to register for one session per day. Online reservations can be made at Syracuse.recdesk.com starting at 8 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 12, and will open one week in advance. Residents are encouraged to set up an account prior to registering. Walk-up admissions will not be allowed.
During offered sessions, the following health and safety precautions will be taken:
• Residents who are not feeling well are asked to stay home
• Masks must be worn in the building at all times
• Temperatures will be taken for each patron prior to entry
• Walkers must remain six feet apart from other walkers unless they reside in the same household
• Locker rooms will remain closed; walkers should come ready to walk and leave once the session is over.
• Exercise rooms will remain closed
• Staff will clean building areas throughout the hour-long sessions and will conduct a deeper cleaning in the 30-minute window between sessions, when the building is completely emptied out
For more information, call the city of Syracuse Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs at (315) 473-4330.