The Dunbar Center is gearing up to reopen.
The center held a community meeting Tuesday, Oct. 21, to hear input from residents about what programs and events it could offer in the future.
For now, the center is offering a few programs for seniors, a small after school program and weekly Zumba classes, which began Wednesday, Oct. 22. Weekly Zumba Fitness begins at 5:30 p.m. in the upstairs gym, runs for an hour and is offered for $2.
If you would like to volunteer or make a donation, contact the center at (315) 760-3155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Volunteer Needs at the Dunbar Center:
Volunteer Board Members:
- Key resource positions
- Volunteers for social/skill building activities
*Includes arts, crafts, tutoring, mentoring, gardening, cooking & nutrition, dance, recreational activities and any special skill you wish to share!
- Volunteers for following positions:
- Office Assistant
- Senior Services assistant
- Youth Services program assistant
- Activities assistant
- Maintenance worker
- IT Systems Coordinator
- Social Worker
- Project leader: “Adopt-A-Family”
- Adopt a specific family with specific tangible needs that have been identified by a case manager. This project is limited to three months for each family and is targeted to the families who come to Dunbar with no resources or supports in their lives.
*Examples of support include: undergarments, clothing, shoes, purse/wallet, personal hygiene items, diapers, formula, infant/children’s clothing, food items, Bibles, uplifting books & magazines, etc.
- Project leader: “Food Pantry”
- Help restock the community food pantry for use by individuals and families needing assistance.
*Includes: canned goods and non-perishable foods
- Seasonal Donations:
- Thanksgiving items
- Christmas items
- Cold weather clothing (hats, gloves, scarves, coats, etc.)